Wednesday, July 8, 2009

























Well we finally arrived in Massachusetts the weekend preceding Dad's 88th birthday, July 3rd. After a series of hop, skips and jumps from Texas to Massachusetts we were able to get there in plenty of time for Bill to make these lovely cakes, extend birthday greetings to dad and visit with all the family members who came from far and near to celebrate this great occasion. Marcia's grand kids were already in Massachusetts visiting their father's and grand parents for the summer and we were all tickled pink that they would be able to attend the party. No Macfarland birthday party would be complete with out a bagpiper piping out happy birthday.

So now we have the proof! Marcia's sister, Linda and their father smoking! We have threatened to send this picture to their respective doctors! What do you think? Maybe live and let live?

Dad said the highlight of the party was the ride in the antique car. It wasn't even planned! One of the neighbors just so happened to have the car in his yard on the day of the party and we all wandered over to see it.


Marcia wrote a poem in honor of her father's birthday...here it is!

On Me You Can Rely

I tiptoed down the cellar steps when I should have been in bed.
I saw my father working there bended back and lowered head.
His hands were moving very slow as he carefully filed a saw,
He raised an eye in wide surprise as he looked at me in awe.
When I asked him why he worked so late he thoughtfully replied
Someone needs this saw tomorrow and on my promise he will rely.

When I think about my father that night always comes to mind
And I remember his good nature; always patient and so kind.
I think about his values, his sense of duty he won’t bend.
Siblings, parents and his children knew on him they could depend.
I love his sense of humor, raised eye and quirky smile.
His quotations from Readers Digest exemplify his style.

When I think about my father and his “Macfarland pride”,
His sense of family honor no one ever should deride.
Our home was filled with special things of which he took great care.
Antiques and family heirlooms resided everywhere.
He spoke about his ancestors and always with respect
He showed us family photos in albums meticulously kept.

When I think about my father and the way he spent his life
About taking care of others there was never any srife.
He just went about his business working hard the whole day through.
No time to think about himself, he had so much to do.
Painting each picket on the fence row after row
and after that there still remained the lawn he had to mow.

When I think about my father, and the way he loved to dance
I remember that we waltzed just once and across the floor we pranced.
He was so graceful on his feet as we glided round the floor
Thinking now about that dance how I wish we’d waltzed some more.
Music made him happy; he loved to hear a 50’s tune.
He always turned on TV to hear the Champagne singers croon.


When I think about my father, I think about his trade
How he took great pride in all his work and everything he made.
When I talk to him about the trades his words just start to flow
And he speaks about the Bentley College Job; he did their stairway you know!
Dad, we are here to celebrate your birthday and wish you another score
To show our love and deep respect, to the man that we adore.

With Love,
Marcia Macfarland Dove
July 3, 2009

No comments: